BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mi familia, Mia Famiglia, My Kinfolk, My People.

It's October 18th.  I've been in New York going on 8 weeks now.  I'm a little homesick and I miss my family and friends, but I have a nice little 'family' here in NY.

My stepdad and I were staying in an extended stay hotel for a couple weeks.  We were sharing a room TWO BEDS PEOPLE because the cost of living up here is outrageous.  On top of sharing a room, it was a smoking room.  And although most of the time my stepdad would hang himself plum out our 3rd floor window Keep it classy San Diego to smoke it was terrible.  Shortly after living in the clouds for a couple days, smoke clouds that is my quest began to find a house we could rent month to month, and of course who came to my rescue none other but Jesus and Craigslist.  "Seek and ye shall find." Matt 7:7  I found a cute old little ranch style house that was posted for renting month to month and in our price range.   When we went to look at the house I fell in love with it.  It's characteristics reminded me of my apartment I had at home in Historic Downtown Murfreesboro-old with a weird smell to it, but details you just don't see in today's houses.   The home had a finished basement with 2 full bathrooms and 4 bedrooms.  Immediately we thought about having other adjusters live here with us.  It would cut our living expenses by half.  I was a little nervous about this decision.   What if we get someone to live with us and they're complete weirdos!

After we looked at the house we decided we were definitely going to rent it. When we pulled in the parking lot to our home in smokey clouds, I saw a familiar face walking into the hotel.  It was a friend of mine named John that I had met at the last storm I worked.  I introduced him to my stepdad and told him about the house.  After talking we found out that the company he was working for was sending him an assistant to come out to help him much like I am with my stepdad. He said he didn't know anything about him but asked if he could fill the 4th spot.  Again, I was nervous about this but I said there are 3 of us and only 1 of him what the heck, I 'll be fine. So he and his assistant Jose moved into the house with us.

The Italian 
John is 55, married and has 3 kids.  He laughs at his own jokes and sings the Banana song all the time. "Eat Bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S!"  He is quite the quirky old man. I swear I think he has A.D.D. He spends most of his time eating Cannolis trying to find paperwork he's misplaced and fighting with his laptop and printer. This is all in between his little cat naps of course on the couch. He wears a bluetooth in his ear until he practically goes to bed at night.  He is the classic bluetooth user too.  He turns his head like he's trying to talk into his own ear like he has some sort of problem and he yells everything he's saying.

The Mexican
Although  I was nervous about living with someone I didn't know.  Jose is 33, married and expecting a baby at the end of November. If anyone has ever seen  Dave Barnes 's YouTube videos- Jose's accent sounds just like Dave's! It's all I can think about when Jose is talking to me and I just want to crack up laughing!   Jose is probably one of the most kindhearted people I've ever met and he has a contagious 100 Watt Smile and to my surprise he wasn't short! I know...I was stereotyping, but come on people you know you already had mental picture too. 

The Redneck
My stepdad is quite the character himself.  He has a TON of nervous energy as well.  He can NOT sit still for nothing. He's in and out of all the rooms, in and out of the house like a ball in a pinball machine ting-ting-ting-ting-ting!  I ride with him to all of our appointments all day in his truck.  The traffic and drivers in NY are horrendous! Every horn that blows and driver that cuts my stepdad off sends this short tempered man into a rage, which is followed by his own horn blowing and a string of words I'm choosing not to type.  After being here for 3 months now you would think he would just except that this is how it is in NY but no. All day he huffs and puffs about the traffic.  If he start's huffing, I can guarantee he's going to be puffing. Literally. Then I get to play a game of Freeze Out while trying to get as much oxygen and fresh air as possible.  He talks so fast and so country, most of the time I have no idea what he's saying. He sounds like one of those auctioneer people. Observing him trying to converse with the New Yorkers with a thick accent is quite the show.  One New Yorker said to him, "Man, I don't know what the hell you're saying!"  I laughed hysterically.  Aside from the above behavior and his classic inappropriate redneck comments I am truly thankful for this man.  He has been so good to me since I've arrived here on this adventure.  He has taken care of many of my meals and has been patient with me while I'm learning and has taught me so much about the business. Because of him I will be well prepared when I work my first storm on my own.

 Some nights we all 4 go out to dinner together, we cook dinner together, we've went bowling and explored NYC together.   By now the guys are used to going in the basement in the morning to flip the breaker because I've flipped them with my hairdryer. I don't feel bad about it though because I have to wake up to the smell of a 'Morning Man Poo'.  A smell that could gag a maggot. When someone is doing there laundry in the basement we lock them in. We eat each others food and watch The Weather Channel together. #theadjusterlife   It's not your 'typical' family but there is love in this house which makes it a home away from home.  This is my NY family.  These are my people.

Jose and I in Times Square.  It was his first time there.  He was like a kid in a candy shop.


Huff  & Puff, Me, and Jon in front of our little home. Jose took the pic.



No comments:

Post a Comment